Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Busy Momma

Apparently I have been busy. Very busy. To busy to blog, to busy to get any projects completed, to busy to know what's what. Last week we finally got Baylor scheduled for the follow up with the ENT. Not good news but it has put us in the right direction to hopefully help Baylor's hearing. He still has fluid behind his ears, meaning the antibiotics did not work. Now, Baylor is scheduled to have tubes put in, his adenoids taken out and his tongue clipped on Monday, September 13th. I cried then, I'm crying now talking about it and God only knows I will be crying when they take my little man away from me and back to the operating room. I will be okay. I just hope that we didn't wait too long to find out what's wrong and we haven't caused further damage to the little man's ears or hearing. I am mostly upset because this has been a long road to get where we are with Baylor and I only pray it gets better from here. I just want him to be a happy, healthy boy. We also learned last week that Baylor's authorization for his speech/oral therapy got messed up, is now voided and has to be reauthorized. What does that mean? Baylor can't have therapy with Mrs. Megan until they get it all straightened out. Great, another obstacle. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next week or two and we can get back on track. Good thing is, Megan will be able to make up the visits she did miss during this time which is great! Baylor has started doing alot of new things this week he hasn't been regularly doing. One of those things is trying to feed himself:







He's trying very hard and has great hand/eye coordination when it comes to getting the fork into his mouth. The problem for him is learning how to hold the fork and getting the food onto the actual fork. I try to assist him some but that can make him fretful so I try to back off, but not let him starve to death either. Last night he got so mad that he couldn't get it and dumped his whole plate onto the kitchen floor. I am trying to be patient and not get worked up over the mess I have to clean, it's just part of it. Dinner time is messy with this little one, something I am just having to get used to.


He has also started to climb out of the playpen at the babysitters, onto the couch. Now this is the only time he does this, when the playpen is backed up to the couch which gives him leverage to hold onto and a place to jump!

I swear Baylor was born to be a gymnast! I see him trying to stand on his head, stand on skinny objects and keep his balance and as of yesterday, swing from the swing set bars out back:



He learned he could do this when Scott showed him how to do pull ups yesterday afternoon. I hate I did not get the shot of him actually touching his toes to the bar! Of course Daddy was out there to "spot" him. My little boo boo monkey!

Baylor is also getting pretty self sufficient as well these days. When we get home in the afternoon, he grabs his goldfish snack and apple juice, then heads to the couch to watch cartoons. He will sit there forever, as long as he has his snack. Another thing is he's sitting on the couch and reading his books, by himself. Sometimes he likes sitting by himself but other times he will let me sit down and read to him for a little bit and point out some pictures. I have been unable to get a picture of him reading by himself yet. It seems when I get over to him to take it, he throws the book and jumps down off the couch, like me catching him reading is "uncool" or something.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you know that Tucker has some eating trouble, so I just wanted to share a feeding tip with you. He gets frustrated if I interfere while he's feeding himself, too; but he gets frustrated when he can't do it! His therapist showed me this trick: get two forks. I put a bite on one fork, and put it down on the tray. While he's picking it up and feeding himself, I put a bite on the other fork and lay that one down so that it's ready when he wants another bite. I'll do this less and less as he develops the fine motor skills to actually get a bite on the fork himself. Praying for you and sweet Baylor as he has his surgery - I can't wait for the progress that I know you'll be able to report him making soon after!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael, I just saw this comment today! Shows you how behind and busy I've been! Thanks so much for your prayers... we have had alot and they have been answered because he is doing super great. That is a great tip with the 2 forks and I will definitely try it soon! I never would have thought about that! How is T doing with his eating now?

    ReplyDelete