Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Baylor's Sedated Hearing Test 11/09/10

Today, Baylor had a sedated ABR (hearing test) to rule out any hearing loss. This was recommended by his ENT a few weeks ago when we went in for a follow up for his tubes. He had the audiology dept. do a quick hearing test on Baylor while we were there. He passed in his right and failed in his left so we decided to schedule a sedated ABR, just to make sure. Today was the big day.... I had to keep Baylor up until 10 P.M. last night. Yea right, he only made it until 9:35 P.M. but was such a trooper. Then I had to wake up at 4 A.M. this morning so he was very sleep deprived, which was our goal for the medicine they were giving him to work. We loaded up at 6 A.M. and this was what I was dreading:

Once we started moving, he got a little better, thank goodness. Once we got the the hospital and I checked him in, one of the nurses turned on cartoons for him. That lasted all of 2 mins and then he decided it was more fun to pull all of the magazines off the tables and run around like a mad child. He did have a M&M toy he got for Halloween that had a fan on it so he carried that around the whole time and showed it off to anyone that came through the door.

They finally got us back and administered the medicine that would make him sleepy. We watched a little Sesame Street (Bert and Ernie singing a night night song) while I rocked him to sleep. He was out in 10 minutes.

That is until they started to hook up the patches to his ears and forehead. We got about half way through when he woke up, and he was not happy I must add. They had to give him another dose of the medicine and left me to rock him back to sleep. It only took me about me 5 mins to get him to sleep this time. Then the nurses were able to finally hook everything up to perform the test.

The test only took 30 minutes to complete and came back just fine. What a relief... Baylor can hear just fine. Great, that means he just ignores me when I call his name and is just being a little stubborn with his talking! His speech therapist Megan promised me that it was something she would work with him on and he would get caught up, she's just glad to ow know that we are not having to work with a hearing loss. Once we got home, I thought Baylor would still be groggy enough to go back to bed. We tried to rock back to sleep but that didn't work. So we sat on the couch and tried to watch t.v., that didn't work either. The child was determined to get down and play. Today is the day I needed padded floors and walls in my house because it was all I could do to keep him from running into something or falling over. You would of swore someone slipped a little somethin', somethin' into his a.j.! As time went on, he got a little better but I still couldn't get him to go back to sleep. We then decided to take advantage of the beautiful day and go for a walk. We made a couple of loops around the neighborhood, came back, had some oatmeal and he finally went down for a nap at 12:30 P.M., and so did I!

No comments:

Post a Comment